Shirataki noodles

by Chase on February 27, 2012

One of my healthy swap secrets I learned back when I was doing Weight Watchers was Shirataki noodles in place of pasta.

008

I had sort of forgotten about them for a little while because they don’t sell them at my go-to Giant grocery store.  But on a whim one evening recently, I went to Harris Teeter instead of Giant and bought a couple bags.  Harris Teeter also carries Gino’s East frozen pizzas, which wholly pleases my dear Chicago boy.

iPhone pix 577

You will find shirataki noodles in the produce aisle, near where the tofu and guacamole and fresh salsas and stuff are.

The thing that’s most fascinating about shirataki noodles is that they are so low in calorie and make a great alternative to traditional pasta noodles.

a009

There are two servings per bag and the main ingredient is water. But the thing to know is that they largely function like noodles!  They’re sort of bland in that tofu sort of way and they just adopt whatever flavor you put on them!

BUT YOU HAVE TO KNOW:

You really have to follow the directions on the back.

a010

When opening the bag, do not take a big inhale of the noodles.  They smell something like between rotten vegetables and my dog’s breath.  Do not inhale.  Instead, dump them straight into a collander, run cold water over them and move them around with your fingers.

Then, microwave for 1 minute.

Then repeat the rinsing step until there is no aroma to the noodles.

Then, pat them dry with a paper towel and cook, season, sauce as necessary!  I enjoyed mine for lunch today with steamed snow peas and teriyaki sauce.

shirataki noodles

I still do not totally understand how on earth they manage to be so low in calorie and macronutrient (and so high in stinkiness) but I guess when the first ingredient on the list is water (and the second ingredient is coagulated soymilk), that’s where it comes from.

I hear you can use them for whatever pasta dishes you like, but I’ve only ever tried them in asian dishes.  Have you ever tried shirataki noodles?  Are you a fan?

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Alicia from Poise in Parma February 27, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I have had a 75% success rate with the Shirataki noodles. One time, I must have not rinsed them enough – BAD things happened! But I recently gave them another shot, made them with a ground turkey marinara meat sauce and really enjoyed them!

2 Sana February 27, 2012 at 10:06 pm

I really want to try these even though I am slightly grossed out!

3 Katie February 27, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Mmmm those look good! I feel like I’ve seen them at the grocery store but never ACTUALLY stopped to look at them. Now I find myself wondering why and thinking I should give them a try. Thanks! :)

4 Alexandra February 28, 2012 at 8:15 am

I used to eat these all the time! Actually there’s another brand called NoOodles that I liked better, although they’re basically the same thing. For some reason I’m more obsessed with kelp noodles now…

When I was still eating dairy, I used to cook these (or the fettuccine version) with a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese and a little parmesan for an alfredo-like effect. Add some steamed broccoli and cauliflower and it’s an amazing meal! I’ll have to come up with a vegan version…

5 kristen February 28, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I used to eat these occasionally when I was using my Hungry Girl cookbook. I think they are better suited to Asian inspired dishes, because they’re not fooling me in Italian dishes. That might be because I didn’t dry them enough, and they made pasta sauce watery. Anyway, the first time I used them, my stomach got all messed up. So, if you’re sensitive to soy, you need to ease into using them. I think it might say that on the packaging.

6 sheila mangel February 28, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I really like Shirataki noodles to use in many recipes. I prefer Miracle Noodles without the tofu/soy and less calories.

7 Tracy Antani March 2, 2012 at 12:59 pm

So interesting! For some reason, I have never ventured into these lower calorie noodle options and now I can’t wait to experiment.